It’s that time of year again, where all the single people feel alone and the couples stress about just how to express themselves. I have never been particularly fond of “Singles Awareness Day” or the Couples’ variation, even when dating. I was always so stressed about getting it right or what he was going to do, if we were even going to celebrate. My family calls it a Hallmark Holiday. AKA a holiday created by consumerism for consumerism. If you love someone, you shouldn’t need to be reminded to remind them that you love them.
However, I still think V-Day is a fantastic time for creativity and fun to flourish! Take advantage of this consumerist day and try some cool DIY gifts!
- Dry a bouquet and give it to your sweetheart. Yes, this takes time and planning, but she’ll appreciate it and be able to keep it for the long-term. Plus, they’re still pretty to look at! And it will be different and unexpected.
- 365 Reasons ILY or 52 Cards of Love. Yes, a little cliché, but I did this for my boyfriend of 1.5 years back in high school. It was a lot of fun to make and he adored them.
- Classic Dinner and a Movie. Prepare a picnic and have a class of wine in your living room. Even better, rent a projector and put a white sheet up the fence or back of the house and watch under the stars.
- Clean and Spa Day. If someone in particular is the neat-one, take the day and clean the entire house for them. If it’s a woman, buy a small spa package bag they can enjoy in the bath with a book they may like. If it’s a man, buy them some comfy sweats to watch a favorite tv series or play a videogame in.
- Romantic Getaway. Take some food and gear and go to your local state or national park and camp. I know it seems a little out of season, but this is a perfect one day trip away from urban life.
For any cost I mentioned, try your local grocery or dollar store for cheap remedies.
How do you like to celebrate Valentine’s Day? What’s your favorite gift you’ve given or received?